Motorola Finally rose up from the dead with it’s new Android based Slider Smartphone the Motorola Cliq also known as DEXT. It runs on a customized version of Android which they call MOTOBLUR, finally a Moto to beat the 3GS and the HTC fleet.
According to T3, the most interesting feature is the “Happenings” widget, it shows live feed of all your friends activity on various social networking sites such as twitter, facebook, and flickr (you could be flooded by unwanted information though). You can read the complete review on T3. They also quoted one disappointing aspect.
One disappointing aspect of the DEXT is its appearance. There are some flashes of flair – the circular ‘grip’ elements on the battery cover for example. That said, it has the look of one of Nokia’s less memorable smartphone efforts. We know Moto’s been accused of putting style over substance, but we’d like to have seen some of the genius of the RAZR make its way into the DEXT.
Here’s a list of negative aspects based on the review (cons)
- Cliq’s Boring Design
- Touch screen late response or missed a hit.
Positive aspects (pros)
- With MOTOBLUR interface you can see all information in one page
- Contact book is updated constantly via contacts social networking profile
Motorola Cliq / DEXT Tech Specs
- Connectivity – 3G GSM, Edge, 3G, WiFi
- Display – 320 x 480 pixels, 187 PPI; 3.1 inch HVGA screen
- Operating System – Android 1.5 (Cupcake)
- Form Factor – Side Slider
- Battery Life – upto 360 min / 6 hours continous talk time, 325 hrs / 13.5 days standby time
- Battery Type – 1420 mAh lithium polymer
- Messaging – EmailPOP3/IMAP embedded, Support for MS Exchange, MMS Animated GIFs, SMS, IM support, Standard Voice Mail, and Visual Voice Mail
- Camera – 5 megapixels, Autofocus with Picture Editing and Geotagging
- Connectivity – MS Exchange Support, Stereo Bluetooth 2.0 + EDR, 802.11 g Wifi, Micro usd 2.0, GPS, Googlemaps with street-view and e-compass, Motorola media link, and Voip
- Internet and Games -Full HTML browser, Android Webkit means plenty of available games.
- Calling Functions – call list, call timer, call transfer, call waiting, canference calling (Three-way call, Group call, Selective Dynamic Group Call (SDGC)), Emergency Call, Mute Call, Dual mic noise cancellation, speed dial (through Quickstore Private IDs, Quickstore Phone Book, Group IDs, SDG Lists) and Voice Dialing.
- Headset – 3.5 mm audio jack
Cliq / DEXT Applications
- Google Services – Google Search™ and Search by Voice, Google Quick Search Box™, Google Maps with Street View™, YouTube™, Google Mail™, Google Talk™, and Google Calendar™
- Android Features – Android Market™, Browser, Calculator, Music, Settings, Voice Dialer
- Business Apps – Quick Office
- Entertainment Applications – Amazon MP3 Store, Image & Video Gallery, imeem, LastFM, Ministry of Sound, Photobucket, Picasa and ShazamID
- MOTOBLUR Services – Direct messaging, photo sharing, sync social networking status, Exchange ActiveSync and Set-up Wizard
- Life Style Apps – AskMen, BSkyB, Gizmodo, IGN, Life Hacker, Rotten Tomatoes, Today Show Fashion and Today Show Food & Wine.
- News and Weather – London Times, Accuweather, BBC UK, CNN, MTV, Pocket Express, Pure People, Reuter and Telegrap
- Social Networking – Facebook and Myspace
- Personal Productivity – Personal Finance Blog
- Travel – Lastminute.com
- Tools & Utility – Calendar Sync
Photos of Motorola Cliq / DEXT
Price and Availability
The DEXT (cliq) will be available in the UK this October exclusively on Orange Mobile at 34 pound premium two year contract, includes 900 call minutes, unlimited text, and orange maps .
Motorola Cliq / DEXT Demo on youtube
Youtube video of the DEXT official launch
Hands on review of MOTOBLUR interface
Mote information about MOTOBLUR is available on Motorola site
- Dimensions – 114 x 58 x 15.6 mm
- weight – 163 g
- Touchscreen – TFT capacitive touchscreen, 256K colors
- Colors – Midnight Titanium, Winter White
- CPU – Qualcomm MSM7201A 528 MHz processor
- Card Slot – microSD (TransFlash), up to 32GB, 2GB included
- Internal Memory – 1 GB storage, 256MB RAM, 512MB ROM
- Motorola CLIQ, Pre-order starts October 19 via T-Mobile USA
Motorola’s revenge with the Cliq and it’s Android arsenal the MOTOBlur is getting near. Tmotoday...
- Motorola DROID: Everything the iPhone iDon’t the DROID iDoes
Today Verizon unveiled the Motorola Droid, Andrew of WSJ conducted the live-blog here. So what...
- Sony Ericsson Intoduced Nexus
What is Sony Ericsson’s Nexus? Nexus is a custom user interface made for Android, Symbian...
- Palm Pixi Features, Full Specs and Quick Review
The previously announced Palm Pixi is a really a thing of beauty. Based on reviews...
- My new Crush.. The Motorola Crush
Today Motorola released it’s new hand set the Motorola Crush. It will be available from...
- Android 0.9 SDK Beta now Available
So what is this Android? it is a suite of software for mobile phones based...
- Pentax Optio W80 Specs, Review and Sample Movies
The Pentax Optio W80 is a jack of all trades, ready-for-the-beating compact camera that can...
- Spy Pics of HTC Android-driven Dream
Engadget made a post about HTC’s Dream with the Andoid installed on it. They claim...
- Google Phone Nexus One Specs reveals On-Board Noise Canceling
While Google employees have been silent about Google’s Nexus One, the guys at TheseAreTheDroids have...
- Google Android 1.0 SDK Now Available
Following the release of the first Android-based phone – the T-Mobile G1- Google Android’s 1.9...