We have read some early review of the M9 and take a closer look at it’s sample photos. With the announcement of the M9, the German company also announced it’s smaller yet powerful counterpart. The Leica X1.
The X1 is a small compact camera with a huge Digital SLR sensor (1.5X CMOS – 23.6 x 15.8 mm). It offers a fixed lens 24mm f/2.8 Elmarit ASPH. Think of it as a more stylish Canon S90, it’s not as compact as the S90 but it offers a bigger lens and a rangefinder design.
This 12.2 Megapixel camera doesn’t shoot video, no built-in view finder, and no digital or optical zoom. At a hefty price of $2,200 (1,352.10 pounds, 1,495.40 euro or 2,352.15 canadian dollars), you get some features of the M9 at a smaller reduced package.
Looking at the design of the X1, it goes head to head with the olympus e-P1. They both have no built-in view finder but the X1 got an AF lamp and a tiny yet appealing pop-up flash. The real competitor to this fixed lens camera is the Panasonic GF1, which offers interchangeable but smaller micro four-thirds sensor. (disregarding price)
Most people who had the first hands-on with the Leica x1 is not allowed to shoot photos out of it so expect no sample photos yet. According to luminous-landscape.com the Leica X1 will be available this early December, but according to wired.com it will be available in January 10, 2010. So for now all we have are first looks of the camera and no comprehensive reviews yet.
Checkout the Photos of the X1, it looks so retro good!
It looks so tiny and cute
Leica x1 pop-up flash
Side by side photo of the x1, D-lux 4 and M9
More Photos on dPreview
Leica X1 Specifications
- Lens – LEICA ELMARIT 24 mm f/2,8 ASPH., 8 elements in 6 groups, 1 aspherical lens.
- Optical zoom – no
- Digital zoom – no
- Focal distance – f=24 mm (35 mm equivalent: 36 mm)
- Aperture – F2.8/F16.0 (1/3 EV steps)
- Focusing area – Normal: 60 cm – infinity, macro: 30 cm – infinity, manual focus: 30 cm – infinity.
- AF metering range – 1-point, 1-point high speed, 11-point, 11-point high speed, spot, face detection.
- AF assist lamp – yes
- Image sensor – APS-C CMOS sensor, 12.9 megapixels.
- Camera effective pixels – 12.2 megapixels
- ISO sensitivity range – Auto, 100, 200, 400, 800, 1600, 3200.
- White balance – Auto, halogen, daylight, flash, cloudy, shadow, manual 1, manual 2; White balance adjustment (2 axis).
- Exposure – Program automatic, aperture priority automatic, shutter priority automatic, manual
- Exposure compensation – 1/3 EV step, -3 to +3 EV.
- Auto bracketing – 1/3 – 3 EV step, 3 frames.
- Light metering – Intelligent multiple, center weighted, spot.
- Shutter speed – 30–1/2000 s
- Self timer – 2 s, 12 s.
- Auto review – 1 s, 3 s, 5 s, hold.
- Film mode – Standard, vivid, natural, BW natural, BW high contrast.
- Recording format – JPEG, DNG.
- Aspect ratio – 3:2
- Resolution – 4272 x 2856 pixels (12.2 megapixel), 3264 x 2160 pixels (7 megapixel), 2144 x 1424 pixels (3megapixel), 1632 x 1080 pixels (1.8 megapixel).
- Image quality – JPEG super fine, JPEG fine, DNG+JPEG super fine, DNG+JPEG fine.
- Motion picture – no
- Burst shooting mode – 3 fps/2 fps. Max. pictures in JPEG fine+DNG: 6 pictures.
- Built-in-memory – approx. 50 MB
- Built-in-flash – Auto, Auto+Red-eye reduction, Forced on, Forced on+Red-eye, Slow Sync., Slow Sync.+Red-eye reduction,
- Studio first curtain, Second curtain can be set.
- Hot shoe – Yes. Compatible with SF24D, SF58.
- LCD display – 2.7″ LCD (230K Pixels) TFT. Field of view: 100%.
- Playback mode – 16-thumbnail display, zoomed playback (16x Max.), image rotation, protection
- Storage medium – Built-in memory (approx. 50 MB), SD memory card, SDHC memory card.
- Microphone – no
- Microphone – yes
- Interface – HDMI output , USB (USB 2.0 High Speed)
- Power supply – Li-ion battery pack (included).
- Battery capacity – approx. 260 exposures (CIPA-standard).
- Battery charging time – 200 min.
- Dimensions (WxDxH) – 124 x 32 x 59,5 mm
- Weight – 286 g (without rechargeable battery).
- Scope of delivery – LEICA BP-DC8 rechargeable battery, battery charger (LEICA BC-DC8), protective battery cover, leather carrying strap,
- manual, USB cable, lens cap, AdobePhotoshop Lightroom™ (download option after product registration).
More Information on Leica UK
- Leica’s V-Lux20 is Due this April 20?
Leica is about to release a new compact mega-zoom camera this April 20. The Leica...
- Limited Edition Leica – Hermes M7
October 17, 2009 Leica Camera AG and Hermès Paris (Not the Greek God but a...
- Leica M9 Reviews
We loved the Leica M8 specially in it’s all white glory but you’ll love the...
- The New Special Edition All-White Leica M8
Now we’re informed that the world renowned German camera maker is readying its next special...
- Stunning Leica M9 Sample Photos
I really liked the Leica M9, the only problem is the price. At around US:...
- Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS2 Specs and Features!
This is what I’ve been waiting for, the successor to Lumix TS1 is here and...
- Pentax K-5 Full Specs and Photos Revealed
Photos and specs of Pentax K-5 Digital SLR just surfaced. According to an informant who...
- Pentax K-x Specs: Cheap 24MP DSLR with 720p Video
Pentax launches the cheapest DSLR, the K-x it can shoot 24mp stills and 720p movies...
- Pentax Optio W80 Specs, Review and Sample Movies
The Pentax Optio W80 is a jack of all trades, ready-for-the-beating compact camera that can...
- The Samsung TL500 Have The Best Lens on a Point and Shoot but…
The Canon S90 and Panasonic’s LX3 have been the Pro Photographers point-and-shoot camera of choice...