We had the most intense battle of the toughest camera last August featuring 7 digital cameras the Canon PowerShot D10, Fuji FinePix Z33WP, Olympus Stylus Tough 8000, Tough 6000, Pentax Optio W60, W80 and Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS1. And now Casio announced a new Tough Camera the Casio Ex-G1.
The Casio Ex-G1 is so thin at 20 mm (.79 inch) and right now the thinnest shock-proof, water proof, freeze-proof and dust-proof camera. Aside from that, it’s also the dorkiest looking (in a good way), the design looks like its from the Transformers Movie. It looks ergonomic, the odd shape makes it fit perfectly in your hands and the different sized keys and button position is designed to allow easy usage whether you’re trekking, climbing or diving (there should be a strap eyelet somewhere or the design will be all BS). You can even add an optional protector to enhance drop resistance.
The good thing is.. I love the design, it looks hi-tech but it doesnt shoot HD movies (ouch). You can check out features and specs listed below.
Features and Highlights
- Water Proof: The Casio EX-G1can be submerged up to (10 feet), BUT limited to 60 continuous minutes.
- Shock Resistant: Can withstand drops from a height of 2.13 meters (7 feet)
- Freeze Proof: Take it to the Alps up to -10 degree Celsius about 14 degree Fahrenheit
- Dust Proof: The body is made to be dustproof with performance corresponding to IEC/JIS Protection Class 6 (IP6X) dustproofing.
- Time Lapse Shooting: The shooting interval can be set at 10 seconds, 30 seconds, 1 minute, or 3 minutes, and the capture time for movies may be set at 3, 10, 20, or 30 minutes, enabling users to get great shots when an event changes over time such as in nature, science, and even sports.
- Still Images: JPEG, DCF1.0, DPOF
- Movies: Motion JPEG, AVI, IMA-ADPCM (mono)
- Audio: WAV (mono)
- 35.7 MB built-in flash memory
- microSD Memory Card
- microSD SDHC Memory Card compatible
- Still Images: 12M(4000×3000)/3:2(4000×2656)/ 16.9(4000×2240)/8M(3264×2448)/ 5M(2560×1920)/3M(2048×1536)/ VGA(640×480)
- Movies: WIDE (848X480)/STD (640×480)/LP (320×240)/ YouTube (640×480)
Aperture, Sensor and Pixel Count
- Aperture: F3.9(W) – F8.9(W) (ND filter is being used.)
- Effective Pixels: Approx. 12.1 megapixels (/million)
- Image Sensor: 1/2.3-inch square pixel CCD, Total Pixels: 12.39 megapixels (/million)
- Built: 11 lenses in 9 groups, including aspherical lens
- F-number: F3.9(W) – F5.4(T)
- Focal Length: f=6.66 – 19.98mm
- 35mm Film Equivalent: Approx. 38 – 114mm
- 3x Optical Zoom
- 4x Digital Zoom
- HD Zoom: Maximum 18.7x
- Focus Type: Contrast Detection Auto Focus
- Focus Modes: Auto Focus, Macro Mode, Pan Focus, Infinity Mode, Manual Focus
- AF Area: Intelligent, Spot, Multi or Tracking
- Auto Focus: Approx. 10cm – Infinity (W) 3.9 inch – infinity (W)
- Macro: Approx. 10cm – 50cm (W) 3.9 inch – 19.7 inch (W)
- Infinity Mode: Infinity (W)
- Manual Focus: Approx. 10cm – Infinity (W) 3.9 inch – infinity (W)
Exposure and White Balance
- Exporusre Metering: Multi pattern, Center Weighted, Spot by CCD
- Exposure Control: Program AE
- Exposure Compensation: 2EV to +2EV (in 1/3EV steps)
- Auto WB, Daylight, Overcast, Shade, Day white Fluorescent, Daylight Fluorescent, Tungsten, manual WB
- CCD electronic shutter and mechanical shutter
- Shutter Speed Auto:1/2 – 1/1250 second
- Night Scene: 4 – 1/1250 second
- Still Images: Auto/ ISO64/ ISO100/ ISO200/ ISO400/ ISO800/ ISO1600/ ISO3200
- Movies: Auto
- 10 seconds
- 2 seconds
- Triple Self-timer
- Flash Modes: Auto, Flash off, Flash on, Soft Flash, Red eye reduction
- Wide Range: Approx. 0.1 – 2.4 m (W) 3.9 inch – 7.9 feet (W)
- Tele Range: Approx. 0.5 – 1.1 m (T) 20 inch – 3.6 feet (T) * Range is affected by optical zoom.
- Flash Charge Time: Approx. 4 seconds
Audio Recording Capacity
- Audio: After Recording: 30 seconds per image
- Voice: 1 hours 52 minutes (when using built-in memory)
Display, Playback and Recording Functions
- Screen: 2.5-inch TFT color LCD 230,400 dots (960 x 240)
- Recording Functions: Snapshot, Marco, Self-timer, Dynamic Photo, Continuous Shooting (Normal Speed CS/High Speed CS), BEST SHOT, AUTO BEST SHOT, Make-Up Mode, Landscape Effect, Auto Shutter, Face Detection, Interval Mode, Movie (Wide Movie, Normal Movie, Prerecord Movie, For YouTube™ and Interval), Voice Recording * Audio recording is monaural
- Playback Functions: Playback Zoom (8X), Multi-image Screen, Calendar Screen, Start-Up Images, Rotate, Re-size, Trimming, Copy, BGM Slideshow, Brightness, White Balance, Red Eye Correction, Layout Print, MOTION PRINT
- Other Functions: Focus Frame Customization, Control Panel Customization, PictBridge, Video Output (NTSC/PAL) Image Deletion: One image / All images With memory protect function
- Time: Built-in quartz digital clock, Date and Time reccorded with image data with time stamp function, Auto Calendar: To 2049, World Time: 162 cities in 32 time zones
City name, date, time, summer time
- Interface: USB/AV port (Hi-Speed USB compatible), Microphone (Mono), Speaker (Mono)
- Dimensions: 103.5(W) x 64.2(H) x 19.9(D) mm 4.01” (W) x 2.53” (H) x 0.78” (D)
- Weight: Approximately 154g / 5.4 oz (Including battery and Memory Card)
- Power: Rechargeable lithium ion battery (NP-80) x1
Power Consumption: 3.7V DC, Approximately 3.0
The Casio Ex-G1 is available in two colours Red (EX-G1RD) and black (EX-G1BK) and priced at $300 US, or 19k PhP, 270 Euro, and about 240 UK Pounds.
Check out the EX-G1′s micro site here
- Sony DSC-TX5 is the Worlds Sexiest and Smallest Water-Proof, Dust-Proof, Freeze-Proof, Shock-Proof Camera
Sony entered the Tough Compact Digital Camera arena with the upcoming DSC-TX5. The TX5 is...
- The Water Proof Digital Camera Royal Rumble
The guys at DP review conducted a group review of the newest water proof digital...
- Go Deep and Stay Cheap with Olympus X-560 WP
Earlier we get to check out Casio’s bet to the tough camera market. It looks...
- Samsung ST5500: Samsungs Bluetooth, Wi-Fi, and GPS enabled camera?
The Samsung ST5500 which will be available in the first quarter of 2010 comes with...
- Sony Cyber-shot WX1 Digital Camera
Today after watching UP in iMax 3D we walked by a Local Electronics Store to...
- 14.7 MP Samsung NV100HD Digital Camera
Earlier we reviewed the NV24HD, its touch sensitive button makes navigation easy but Samsung makes...
- Camera’s Water Resistancy Battle
It came to my attention that a fellow writer had some test on the water...
- Samsung NV24HD Compact Digital Camera
The Samsung NV24 HD Digital Camera was released early 2008 and is one of the...
- Samsung ST45 : The Slimmest Digicam Ever?
Last year Samsung announced their thinnest laptop. Today Samsung brought up another anorexic gadget, the...
- Pentax Optio W80 Specs, Review and Sample Movies
The Pentax Optio W80 is a jack of all trades, ready-for-the-beating compact camera that can...